Top Gun (1986)

O An excellent must-see
X Good rental choice
O Mediocre
O Rent something else

Review by Jason Pyles / April 10, 2007

I’d like to apologize to Tom Cruise for loathing him when I was in fifth grade: Jeana Nicely was head-over-heels in love with him, and I with her.

But a lot of other, non-jealous people loved “Top Gun” when it flew into theaters in 1986 … and they still do. I suppose the movie holds up as well as any other ‘80s flick. Yes, “Top Gun” is still a “Good rental choice,” if for no other reason than nostalgia.

In truth, the dialogue and acting are quite mechanical in places. And I’ve always thought the filming of the aerial dogfights was problematic and disorienting (which was, no doubt, intended). To date, the best filming of airplane warfare I’ve seen is in “Flyboys” (2006).

You know the story: Tom Cruise is “Maverick,” a hot-shot pilot who’s reckless, rebellious and extremely gifted. When the Navy commissions him to train at an elite flight school, Maverick is intensely challenged in flying, in love and in life.

Reviewing “Top Gun” made me long to revisit “Iron Eagle” (also 1986) and “An Officer and a Gentleman” (1982).

I can't help but wonder how Jeana feels about Tom Cruise’s propensity to jump on furniture.

Directed by Tony Scott
Tom Cruise / Val Kilmer / Kelly McGillis
110 min. Drama / Action
(Original MPAA rating: PG / re-rated: PG-13)
Edited version age recommendation: 12 and up

Collector’s Edition DVD release date: December 14, 2004
Copyright 2007.
JP0077 : 198

No comments: